Noodles And Chopsuey Is Served As Prasad In This Maa Kali Temple In China Town, Kolkata
Did you know there’s a Maa Kali temple in China Town,Tangra, Kolkata that serves noodles and chopsuey as prasad?
Well, how would you know that, cuz its the China Town and we visit there only to drink 🙂
This temple is a perfect cultural assimilation between the Chinese and the Hindu community.
On Kali Puja day, people from both the communities get together to pray in front of the temple and on an average day, one can witness Chinese residents taking off their shoes to pray in front of the idol.
A 55-year-old Chinese man shares his experience:
“Kali Puja is special for us. Our activities start early in the morning. Most of us have been given our responsibilities for the day. Some get the flowers, some fruits and sweets for the prasad and a few oversee the preparations. The pandit (a Bengali Brahmin) comes here every day for the morning and evening aarti.”At least 2,000 members of the community gather here on Diwali night to witness the puja, participate in pushpanjali and partake of the prasad. While the mantras and the way in which the puja is conducted is completely Hindu, some typical Chinese traditions have crept in. “We light tall candles on Kali puja night. We also get special Chinese incense sticks and light them, so the aroma you get at the temple is different from what you get at other temples or pandals. It is typically Chinese,” says 70-year-old A K Chung, who owns a leather finishing unit.
Lets go 10 years back and see the temple’s history –
1. The site where the temple stands is 60 years old. Back then, black stones were smeared with sindoor and local people worshiped those stones.
2. So, one day a 10-year-old Chinese boy was brought to this site as he was very unwell and even the doctors couldn’t cure him. Losing all hope, his parents lay him down near the stone and worshiped day and night for his recovery.
3. The worship bore fruits and a miracle happened: the boy got well. Since then, it has been a especial and revered site for the Chinese community.
4. The granite temple was built 12 years ago and those “black stones” are still there in the temple.
Next time, Don’t forget to eat Maa Kali’s Prasad while chilling out with friends in any of the pubs in China Town. 😀
News Source: Times Of India
Latest posts by Abhijit Das (see all)
- [Video] Somlata and Shibasish Unite To Celebrate The Never Ending Love Story Between Kolkata and You - January 6, 2019
- Kolkata, Here’s Your Daily Dose of Fresh Himalayan Air Sold for Only Rs.550 for 10 Litre - December 1, 2018
- This Shampoo Claims to Grow Hair, With 5 star From More Than 400 People, Seems Like Its True - November 22, 2018